Saturday, April 9, 2011

I guess Saturday mornings aren't for cartoons no more.

Good morning!

So last night I was booting up GSDD again, and the music made me nostalgic and happy, so I laid the thing down on my chest (I operate largely lying on my bed with my laptop on my knees), and was typing about that to Facebook. When I picked the system up again, I watched my only save file being erased. Apparently my shirt buttons know how to work the touch screen. I was less upset than I was amazed that that sort of thing could happen. I began a new game and got -nearly- to where I had been before, and in about a third of the time, so not all is lost. I had only been playing for a day, after all. Also, it's a very linear story, so it's not like I have to remake any big decisions. If it had been an Elder Scrolls game, I'd be more upset.

Anyway, that was last night. Today's been nicely lazy so far. I was in bed until there was a knocking, and a Jehovah's Witness and her child invited me to what sounded like Christmas in April. A celebration of Christ dying for our sins? Something like that. I took the pamphlet and they were on their way.

I'm actually really okay with them doing that. I grew up a Unitarian Universalist, which is not a religion so much as a community of people who are all looking for what's right for them. Basically I grew up accepting people. Now, what I don't like is people shoving their religion down my throat. The few times I've had people with religious motives at my door, though, I've always been very pleased with the exchange. It has never been, "hey there, if you don't find Jesus quickly you'll burn forever so join up, buddy!" Every time (I can think of three instances), the men or women have simply said, "this is who I am, this is what I'm a part of, and we invite you to join us. Here's information." It's not a demand, or even a coercion. It's an offer, brought to me and literally left at the door. The next step is all mine. I don't ever take it, but I like that they paint it as an option and not as a requirement.

So, if anything, that made me smile. I then sat at the piano and played around with that new song (it's called "Flown Away"), and then went back to Facebook. Now, lately I've had this goal of talking to people who I sort of know, in an effort to improve my conversational and general social skills. I've been talking to a few people I met in classes and exchanged Facebooks with, but never really interacted with. This morning, I decided I'd send a hello to Sarena, who I was in school with from elementary until graduation. We went to the same daycare, and she was one of my best friends in, say, fourth through sixth grade. We drifted way apart in middle school (although we still talked) and interaction really reduced in high school. She was always a sweet, beautiful, intelligent girl, and I always looked fondly to her, but things happen.

So today I sent her a message with Facebook IM, and what came out was just a nice little chat where we caught up. She's doing wonderfully. She's the president of her sorority, and is going to Turkey this summer for a program themed "Where East meets West." ("West meets East?" One of those). It sounds like she's really doing a lot of good things, and I'm happy for her. I'm also happy I was able to have a conversation with her. My secret mission is going according to plan.

That was nice, and now I'm still in bed, considering what to do next. I'm sure to be playing GSDD a bunch, and I want to work on a paper. I also want to eat at some point, I guess. I'll go figure it out now.

Fun fact: in daycare, Sarena and I made a tattoo business. I made a lot of designs, and she would execute them with Crayola markers, I believe. At the end we had even made a sort of currency for it. We were hot shit. I still have the pages of designs at home.

PS: saying that reminded me that last night I had a dream that I got a tattoo on my hand. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment